1. The competition to be selected to take part in the Climate Change College Programme is open to all residents of the UK, Netherlands, Germany and Republic of Ireland aged between 18 and 30 except employees (and their families) of the Promoter and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), their agents or anyone professionally connected with this Competition or the Programme.
2. The languages of the college are English and German and all entries need to be submitted in English or German and all Entrants must be fluent English or German speakers.
3. One entry per person. To apply fill in all sections of the official entry form available on www.climatechange.org. Entrants must introduce themselves and give their idea for climate change; answer six questions on climate change; and upload a 1 minute Climate Change Challenge Video on to the website.
4. Closing date for receipt of your application is 12 midnight (GMT) 24th October 2006.
5. Responsibility cannot be accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of any network, computer hardware or software failure. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Incomplete or corrupted entries or those not in accordance with the entry instructions are invalid.
6. All entries shall be original and shall not have been previously published or exploited in any part of the would and will not infringe any copyright, right of privacy, right of publicity or personality or any other right whatsoever of any third party. Entrants shall be the sole author and the sole absolute unencumbered legal and beneficial owner of all rights of copyright and other rights to the completed entry.
7. Winners of the competition will gain a place as an Ambassador at the Ben & Jerry’s Climate Change College. There are a total of 6 Ambassador places available: 2 for the UK, 2 for the Netherlands, 1 for Germany and 1 for the Republic of Ireland. No person can occupy more than one place. No cash alternative.
8. Judging is a three stage process and all entries, which will be judged by a panel, will include Marc Cornelissen, and representation of WWF, the Promoter and independent media representatives. The judging criteria for all stages will be based upon the Entrant’s knowledge of the environment, communication skills, dedication, resourcefulness and willingness to learn. The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. Thirty two (32) entrants will be shortlisted to stage 2 of the selection process, and will be invited by email to write a campaign proposal which they will present in person in London, Rotterdam or Dublin or via video conference between 7-9th November 2006. Expenses for travel to and from the day assessment location will be reimbursed. The shortlisted entrants must confirm that they are able to attend the assessment or arrange a video conference within seven (7) days from the date of notification on 26th October 2006. Any entrant who does not send confirmation within this time will be treated as having forfeited their place and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the forfeited place to another entrant selected in accordance with the Competition rules.
10. Eighteen (18) Finalists will be chosen from the shortlist: 6 each for the UK and Netherlands, 3 each for Ireland and Germany, and invited to a Final Selection Weekend in the Netherlands on 17-19th November 2006. Finalists will be required to take a short physical test. Results from the test will not be used to select the Winners. All expenses for travel to and from the Weekend will be reimbursed. Food and accommodation will be arranged by the Promoter.
11. The Finalists will be notified by email on 9th November 2006. Finalists have three (3) days from this date to confirm their attendance of the Final Selection Weekend otherwise will be treated as having forfeited their place in the final and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the forfeited place to another entrant selected in accordance with the Competition rules.
12. The Winners will be selected by 20th November 2006 and the winning candidates will be made public on the website, www.climatechange.org by 1st December 2006.
13. The Winners must participate in the Arctic Pre-Training in the month of March 2007 in London and an Arctic Training Week in mid April 2007. Expenses for travel will be reimbursed and accommodation and subsistence will be arranged by the Promoter. The Winners must confirm that they are able to attend the training sessions within thirty (30) days from the date of publication on the website. Any entrant who does not send confirmation within this time will be treated as having forfeited their prize as an Ambassador and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with the Competition rules.
14. The Promoter will not be held liable for any accidental damage or injury caused pursuant to or during this Programme unless caused by the Promoter’s negligence or default. Winners are urged to take adequate insurance to cover their participation in the Programme.
15. For the avoidance of doubt Ambassadors are volunteers of the Ben & Jerry’s Climate Change College. Nothing in these terms and conditions or the website shall be construed as creating an employer-employee relationship between the Promoter and the Winners.
16. Entrants shall indemnify and hold the Promoters harmless from any claims, actions, proceedings, costs and expenses arising as a result of any allegation that they did not own or is not wholly entitled and authorised to allow publication and reproduction of the entry by the Promoter.
17. Entrants hereby grant to the Promoter a perpetual world wide royalty free licence to use, publish and reproduce their completed entry in any media for publicity or other purposes.
18. Entrants may be required to participate in publicity arising from this Competition or marketing campaigns to support the Programme. All Entrants agree not to say or do anything detrimental or prejudicial to the name or reputation of the Entrants, the Promoter or the Programme, including without limitation bringing such name or reputation into any disrepute or ridicule.
19. In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to alter the nature of the Programme or any of these terms and conditions.
20. By entering the competition all participants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and consent to the transfer of their personal data to the Data Controller for the purposes of the administration of this Competition and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented. All entry instructions form part of the rules.
21. These terms and conditions shall be governed wholly by English law and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
Promoter and Data Controller:
Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Limited
Windsor SL4 1DS
(Please do not send entries to this address)